[tex-live] Announcement/Warning: everal changes in network installer

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 12:50:08 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Sa, 12 Jul 2008, George N. White III wrote:
>> One minor issue: "tlmgr --gui" opens a window to display the
>> list of processing steps, while install-tl -gui just writes to the
>> terminal.
>
> If I understand you write you mean the messages
>        Installing ...
>        Installing ...
> echoed to the terminal. I agree, they are probably useless, but I like
> them ;-). THe GUI installer shows the very same thing in the status line
> at the bottom of the window. Well, more or less at the same time, save
> some Event processing which cannot be sensible improved due to the
> problem that on windows I cannot fork with Tk loaded.

I don't think the messages are useless -- they give a better
indication of progress
than some %finished bar.

My suggestion is that those messages go to a window as with ltmgr, mainly
with the goal that systems could provide an "install TeX Live from CTAN" icon
for users who insist that command lines were a temporary stop-gap to
make up for the demise of card punch machines.

> Best wishes
>
> Norbert

> Dr. Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>        Vienna University of Technology
> Debian Developer <preining at debian.org>                         Debian TeX Group
> gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094      fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
> In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high,
> men were real men, women were real women, and small furry
> creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry
> creatures from Alpha Centauri.
>                 --- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia