[tex-live] Binaries don't compile

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 4 22:39:55 CEST 2008

On 4 Jul 2008, at 7:00 pm, Fabrice DELENTE wrote:

> I went into source/ and did
>
> ./configure --without-xindy

> <snip>

> However, when I compile (through make), I get
>
> g++ -I../../libs/icu-xetex/common -I./../../libs/icu-xetex/common -
> I./../../libs/icu-xetex/layout -DLE_USE_CMEMORY -I./../../libs/
> freetype2/include  -g -O2 -DXETEX_OTHER -c xetexdir/
> XeTeXFontInst_FT2.cpp -o XeTeXFontInst_FT2.o
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target ../../libs/freetype2/.libs/
> libfreetype.a', needed by xetex'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/local/testSpace/texl/source/texk/
> web2c'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/local/testSpace/texl/source/texk'
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> What went wrong?

I'm guessing that this may be a problem with building directly in the
source directories. The Build script provided in the repository
creates a Work subdir, cd's there, and does the configure and make;
it may well be that there is a problem in the makefiles if you try to
build directly in the source tree.

Obviously, in an ideal world we'd fix it so that you can build from
anywhere, but for now I suggest you use the Build script (just do ./
Build from the top level of the source tree; it even omits xindy by
default), or at least examine what it does and try building in a
similar way.

(If that still doesn't work, we have other problems and will need to
see more of the configure and/or make logs to be able to tell what's
failing.)

JK