[tex-live] More testing of network installation under Windows

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Tue Jul 1 21:53:49 CEST 2008

My system: Windows XP Pro, service pack 2

I tested install-tl this afternoon (July 1), using install-tl.zip
which was apparently updated last night (June 30).

I did two tests: In the first I did not change PATH at all, in the
second I changed it slightly (see below). For both I selected
texlive-basic, default paper size = letter, create formats = Yes,
download font/macro docs = Yes, download font/macro sources = No.

I was able to install and generate formats without making any changes
to my PATH.

But I got error messages during updmap. This time I was able to trace
the problem to a line in updmap.pl:

   @lines = `dir /b /s $f`; # rk. Suppress header and footer from dir output.

I have a set of Gnu-ish utilities from the GnuWin32 project. I was
not previously aware that one of them is called dir.exe. For some
reason the above line invoked the *program* dir.exe instead of the
command processor's *internal* dir command. The following change
prevented that from happening:

   @lines = `cmd /c dir /b /s $f`; # call cmd.exe explicitly

In past tests, removing the directory containing tar.exe from PATH
also removed dir.exe and is one of the reasons that change
helped make previous install succeed (though removing my copy of
tar.exe made no difference).

I also got error messages for the step that was to configure the
paper size.

The second test I made only two changes: I removed my TeXLive 2007 bin
directory from PATH and renamed dir.exe to gdir.exe. This was completely
successful.

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descarte