[tex-live] [Bug Report]Texlive: when including EPS, latex provide a dvi with blank frame instead of figure

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:02:25 CET 2008

2008/2/12, Jiang Liu <jliupku at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> I installed texlive-full on my Ubuntu 7.10 by apt-get.
> When I try to include an eps file, after latex the .tex file, the
> resulting dvi shows only a blank frame for the figure.

Remember that EPS inclusion is equivalent to a \special, it writes a
command to the DVI file, not the image. DVI viewers may not understand
this \special and may ignore it, some DVI viewers are able to call
ghostscript and ask it to render EPS and return it as a bitmap. In
this process some information is lost. Although it may work fine in a
great many cases, some graphical object may be damaged when displayed
in the DVI viewer but will look correctly in the PS output generated
by dvips. Imagine that you first typeset some text and you place some
vector image, eg some frame as EPS. The PS output will be correct but
since the DVI viewer gets a rectangular bitmap from ghostscript, your
text will disappear. That's why I never use DVI viewers when working
with EPS and/or PSTricks.

> But when I transform the .eps file to a PDF file and pdflatex the .tex
> file, the output is ok.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz