[tex-live] Another Problem in update

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 17:57:09 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Fengnan Gao <fnsteed at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> What do you mean by "latest"?
>>
>> So you are using some version of Windows.  There has been work on a couple
>> issues with Win32 -- in some cases the command line exceeded the limits in
>> some versions of cmd, and there were problems with perldoc.  I'd guess
>> your
>> problem is from the over-long command line, but it would be good to have
>> the
>> full output.
>

>> There can be delays getting updates to the mirror sites, so you should
>> provide the OS version you use and the versions of tlmgr and
>> bin-tlperl.win32.
>>

> I'm using vista sp1, and the lastest means the newest I can find on
> ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/. And the output of tlmgr --version is
>
> C:\Users\fnsteed>tlmgr --version
> tlmgr revision 11693 (2008-12-23 01:22:06 +0100)
> tlmgr using installation: d:/texlive/2008
> TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2008
> texlive-20080903

There have been changes in svn since the 23rd.  You can
look for newer versions on other mirrors.

>> $ tlmgr  show bin-tlperl.win32
>

> My output is:
>
> tlmgr: installation location
> ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/tex-archive/systems/texli
> ve/tlnet/2008/
> Package:    bin-tlperl.win32
> Category:   TLCore
> Installed:  Yes
> Revision:   11607
>
> Seems alright.
>

>> Since this might be related to the long command-line bug you can
>> check the list archives for the details, and verify that your system
>> has the patch.  It is possible the fix didn't make it to the mirror site
>> you use.   To get the complete output you can use emacs:
>>
>> <http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/>
>>
>> In emacs, open a shell using <Alt-X>shell and run tlmgr there.   You will
>> get a buffer that allows you to scroll back as far as you need.
>>
>> --
>
> I'm a Emacs user, but I don't know how to use a M-x shell. Some more hint?

If you press the <Alt> key and then "x" you should get the M-x prompt.
 Just type
"shell<CR>" and you should get a window with the cmd prompt where you can
enter commands.   I looked for a youtube video to show this, but
didn't find one.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia