[tex-live] Another Problem in update

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 14:13:03 CET 2008

2008/12/27 Fengnan Gao <fnsteed at hotmail.com>:

> I tried to update my texlive today, and again I came across some problem. I
> have updated my tlmgr to the latest version. When I type tlmgr update -all
> in my cmd window, it popped up some long error message. I can not even see
> the beginning of the error message. It's what I got from my cmd window.

What do you mean by "latest"?

So you are using some version of Windows.  There has been work on a couple
issues with Win32 -- in some cases the command line exceeded the limits in
some versions of cmd, and there were problems with perldoc.  I'd guess your
problem is from the over-long command line, but it would be good to have the
full output.

> dis/venturissans/yv1bi8tx.tfm
> [...]
> /latex/venturissans2/ts1yv3.fd tlpkg/tlpobj/venturisadf.tlpobj) failed in ,
> stat
> us 255 at d:/texlive/2008/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 463.
>
> Can someone help me? Thanks.

There can be delays getting updates to the mirror sites, so you should
provide the OS version you use and the versions of tlmgr and bin-tlperl.win32.

I have (running Ubuntu linux):

$ tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 11715 (2008-12-25 10:27:37 +0100)
tlmgr using installation: /usr/local/texlive/2008
TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2008
texlive-20080903

You might also do:

$ tlmgr  show bin-tlperl.win32
tlmgr: installation location /opt/tex/texlive/svn/Master
Package:    bin-tlperl.win32
Category:   TLCore
Installed:  Yes
Revision:   11607

There seems to be a problem with bin-tlperl.win32 -- the version in
the svn Master
repository seems to be older than the svn version:

$ tlmgr --location /opt/tex/texlive/svn/Master update bin-tlperl.win32
tlmgr: installation location /opt/tex/texlive/svn/Master
bin-tlperl.win32: local revision (11607) is newer than revision in
/opt/tex/texlive/svn/Master (10656), not updating.

$ tlmgr show bin-tlperl.win32
tlmgr: installation location
http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
Package:    bin-tlperl.win32
Category:   TLCore
Installed:  Yes
Revision:   11607

Since this might be related to the long command-line bug you can
check the list archives for the details, and verify that your system
has the patch.  It is possible the fix didn't make it to the mirror site
you use.   To get the complete output you can use emacs:

 <http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/>

In emacs, open a shell using <Alt-X>shell and run tlmgr there.   You will
get a buffer that allows you to scroll back as far as you need.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia