[tex-live] TL2009

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 14 18:14:40 CET 2008

Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> >    > Don't bother updating your installation with the help of tlmgr, wait for
> >    > the next TeXLive edition.
> >
> > Actually I think this is a perfectly viable approach unless someone
> > actually *needs* a particular update.  After all, this is the first year
> > TL has had updates.  That did not make TL useless for the last decade.
>
> It is true. Many (most?) of my esteemed colleagues still use tetex 3.0.
>
> >    2) If there will be TL2009 how installation would be different from
> >    TL2008 completely update with tlmgr?
> >
> > We haven't figured out tl09 deployment yet -- the earliest we can
> > realistically hope for is summer 09.  But my expectation is that it
> > won't be possible to use tlmgr update to get from 08 to 09.  We have a
> > list of infrastructure things we want to improve which cannot be done
> > while retaining compatibility with the oh-so-ancient :) version that is
> > on the 08 DVD.
>
> And you still distribute this obsolete software?!! :-)

the tex live team doesn't ... it's all the fault of the user groups.

> > I'd be curious if it is possible to use the miktex package manager to
> > upgrade between significant releases.
>
> I think it is possible (since it was ported to UNIX) but the good
> question is that where updates will come from: CTAN or MikTeX website.
> If I remember correctly the author of MikTeX has a personal license
> from Bill Gates to distribute any packages he wants and you have not
> managed to secure such an indulgence :-)

pace the other post (saying up-version upgrades aren't possible), you
get miktex stuff from a miktex repository, which a mirrored copy of the
master that christian puts on one of dante's machines.  mirror sites
include all ctan mirrors

i doubt anyone's relying on indulgences from bill (being as he's nothing
but a shareholder, these days), but if they are, the agreement _must_ be
transitive as otherwise the whole of the miktex update framework would
already have disappeared into the aether.