[tex-live] TeXLive install from DVD failed

peter wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 20:44:45 CET 2008

     I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from TL 2007 to TL 2008,
installing from the September 2008 DVD. I followed the instructions for
Unix (I'm running Fedora 5), cd'ing to /mnt/dvd/texlive and then:
 > perl install-tl -help
which produced the typical help listing, then
 > perl install-tl
which printed the following and gave up:

TeXLive::TLUtils::setup_programs failed at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line
1042.
./tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzmadec.i386-linux --help failed (status 32256):
No such file or directory
Output is:
Can't exec "./tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzmadec.i386-linux": Permission
denied at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 1045

     I initially tried as an ordinary user, then called su as it seemed
to be a permissions problem and tried again. The results were identical.
At the end the message said to inform texlive at tug.org, so here you are.
I googled comp.text.tex first, though, but couldn't find anything relevent.

Peter W.