[tex-live] Installation problems on Windows Vista

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Dec 4 20:17:37 CET 2008

Norbert Preining writes:
 > On Mi, 03 Dez 2008, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > >    exec('perl', 'bar.pl');
 > >
 > > then foo.pl returns immediately (to the command line) after bar.pl has
 > > been launched.  I suppose that a kid can remove its parent from the
 > > file system then because the parent process is finished when the child
 >
 > I suppose that this will not work (but not tested). The reason is that
 > any child process gets the same open file handles as the parent on W32,
 > so all the perl files will be open still in the client.

Hi Norbert,
I tested it today.  Unfortunately you are right.  However, the child
process had been able to remove its parent process from the disk, but
it had not been able to remove a file which had been opened by the
parent when exec() was executed.  Hence, the idea is not much worth
except, maybe, in some very rare situations.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25