[tex-live] Installing TeXLive2008 on Cygwin

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Aug 28 02:11:06 CEST 2008

    1) I note that 'lib', 'texinfo' and 'include' do not show up in the ISO;
    so, can one avoid to install them?

configure --without-texinfo for texinfo.  For the others: no, I don't
think they can be reasonably avoided.  Just ignore them.

    2) 'share' has 'man' and 'info'. Should one copy them to
    '/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc', overwriting the 'man' and 'info'
    which are there?

There is no need.  texmf/doc should already contain everything that make
install installs, and more.

    'texmf' has the extra directory 'bibtex' which, in the ISO, is instead
    in 'texmf-dist'. Same question as in 2).

Same answer.

    In the postinstall phase, 'install-tl' does not use the binaries just
    installed but those which are in the PATH;

We do take steps to use the new binaries, otherwise installation would
completely fail.  Apparently what we do does not suffice on Cygwin.  It
is this (install-tl line 982 at present):

  $ENV{'PATH'}="$plat_bindir" . "$pathsep" . "$ENV{'PATH'}";

You're going to have to tell us what needs to be done on Cygwin.

If you run install-tl --debug, you will get voluminous output about what
is being done.  Perhaps that will help you find your way through the code.

karl