[tex-live] TL 2008 documentation problems

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Aug 21 23:50:27 CEST 2008

Hi Arthur,

    What a great idea! This file, however does not exist.

It is not just an "idea".  The file does exist (it existed last year,
too, maybe before, I can't remember when I set it up).

The bug is that it wasn't installed.  We'll fix that; thanks for the
report.  Meanwhile, it's available online if you want to see it (and/or
copy it into the root of your tree):
http://tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/doc.html.  (As well as from svn, etc.)

    However, in TL2008, there is no directory
    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/pdftex

texmf-dist/doc/pdftex

    Also present in 2007 and absent in 2008:

At the system level, running find (or equivalent) in the trees could help
discover things.

At the TeX level, the new tlmgr program contains command "search" and
"show" to list information about a package, or search for file names, or
whatever.

(See also end ...)

    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/chktex

It's a Windows-only program, so you don't get the doc unless you're
installed on Windows either.

    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/latex

texmf-dist/doc/latex/base

    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/pdfcrop

texmf-dist/doc/support/pdfcrop

    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/texi2html

Indeed, texi2html is no longer part of TL.  It is better installed on
its own, for various reasons.

    /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/texdoc

That directory is still there, although FYI texdoc was completely
rewritten.

    I particularly miss /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/lists, because it
    shows what files are where for any package.

The lists files were part of the old installation infrastructure.  Look
at tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb for the replacement.  It is plain text.  And
searching in there is another way to discover what is where.

Best,
Karl