[tex-live] TL2008 installation under Windows

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Thu Aug 14 10:19:11 CEST 2008

On 13 Aug 2008, at 2:03 AM, Gregor Zimmermann wrote:

> X) As many of the (*)TeX-developers are on this list: Does anyone
> know a tool to convert Xe(La)TeX's xdv files to PostScript? Or is
> this impossible anyway, although Postscript is said to support
> multibyte characters?

It's not impossible, but no-one has felt sufficiently motivated to
write the code.

You can, of course, use xdvipdfmx to convert xdv to pdf, and then your
favorite utility (e.g., ghostscript) to generate postscript from the
pdf. But I guess you meant something more direct.

The obvious way forward would be to add the necessary extensions to
dvips. But I don't know of anyone planning to work on it. For most
people, pdf is the most useful format to generate, and if you really
need ps it can be derived from that.

JK