[tex-live] Perltk-zh.pl in tl2008 has been finished in both simplified and traditional chinese.

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 11:54:08 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Fr, 08 Aug 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> > easiest way is to rename the Perltk-zh into Perltk_zh-cn for  simplified
>> > chinese and Perltk_zh-tw for traditional chinese.
>>
>> Our code always deduces a 2 letter code. So I am not sure how that will
>> work.
>
> Bummer me sorry.
>
>> > (zh-cn and  zh-tw) have been stored in the OS's registry.
>>
>> Where???
>
> See below.
>
>> As far as I see the code we use:
>> >Our modules take a look into the registry to find out that value. It
>> >goes like this:
>> >     Look into CurrentUser/Control Panel/International//Locale
>> >and then look up that value in
>> >     HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/MIME/Database/Rfc1766/

This actually comes from  from Internet Explorer, so may not exist
on all systems (e.g., wine), but does have the advantage of following
a standard other than Microsoft.

> That actually *GIVES* the full string. Can you PLEASE check that you
> have in
>        HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/MIME/Database/Rfc1766/
> entries for zh-tw and zh-cn? My Windows does not support Asian languages
> and thus does not exhibit these values.

There is also the Microsoft way:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms776260(VS.85).aspx>
has a table for HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/International/Locale
My linux PC has 409=en-US on wine.  The table offers:

Locale
identifier 	Locale 	                              Locale name  Script
tag   ANSI code page
0x0c04 	Chinese (Hong Kong SAR, PRC) 	zh-HK 	Hant 	       950
0x1404 	Windows 98/Me, Windows XP
                and later: Chinese (Macao SAR) 	zh-MO 	Hant 	       950
0x0804 	Chinese (PRC)                          	zh-CN 	Hans       936
0x1004 	Chinese (Singapore)                         zh-SG 	Hans       936
0x0404 	Chinese (Taiwan)                               zh-TW 	Hant 	       950

> Can you check *which*
>        zh-XX
> are present, and give us a mapping from them to zh-cn and zh-tw?

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia