[tex-live] Perltk-zh.pl in tl2008 has been finished in both simplified and traditional chinese.

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Aug 9 11:34:13 CEST 2008

hongyi.zhao at gmail.com wrote:

> Basically, the simplified chinese is mainly used in Chinese Mainland, Malaysia, and Singapore, whereas the traditional chinese is mainly used in Taiwan, Hongkong, Macao and etc.
>
> In spite of the fact of the above territorial use of simplified and traditional chinese, we shouldn't simply do the locale map from all of these to only zh-cn and zh-tw like the above, IMO.  This is because there're many region-specific phrase corresponding to each of the regions.  In detail, though simplified chinese are both used in Chinese and Singapore, they may use a different phrase or word for the same thing.
>
> N B, the files provided by me should only have the correct expression for only Chinese Mainland (zh-cn version) and Chinese Taiwan (zh-tw version).
>
> But, the above requirement perhaps is a bit of rigor!  Just my suggestions.

OK, a question to Norbert : if you (the installer, that is)
detect localisation "zh-hk", could you/it then issue a message
(in "zh-hk") reading (in translation) "Sorry, we do not have
  a 'zh-hk' transliteration; using 'zh-tw' as the nearest
  approximation" ?

Zhao, is there a localisation for Shanghainese, which I know
from experience is very different to standard Hanyu ?  And if
so, would we want to offer a similar message before serving
standard Hanyu in simplified hanzi ?

** Phil.