[tex-live] fc-cache

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 20:22:44 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan at jfkew.plus.com> wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2008, at 5:54 PM, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>
>> In case it got drowned out by all the other noise on the tex-live
>> list: Phil Taylor is also having persistent problems with fc-cache.
>> It doesn't seem to be a configuration problem since fc-cache works
>> on some directories and fails on others.  Norbert already redirected
>> stderr/stdout to a logfile. An explanation in the output of the
>> consequences of failure might also alleviate the problem. A real
>> solution would of course be best.
>

> Sorry, I've been only very intermittently on-line the last few days, and I
> don't really know anything about the Windows build.
>
> Phil, are you running (the TL installer, and/or fc-cache separately) as an
> administrator or as a "normal" user? (I'm not too sure of the appropriate
> Windows terminology here.) I'm guessing that without admin privileges, it is
> unable to write into the c:\windows\fonts directory.

What would fc-cache write to the c:\windows\fonts directory?  On my system,
(where fc-cache has been working since I zapped some old Myriad TTF files),
the cache files are stored in texmf-var/fonts/cache.   By far the largest of the
-x86.cache-2 files has c:\windows\fonts stored near the start of the file, and
more strings like C:/WINDOWS/fonts/8514fixe.fon.   Is there a tool to dump
a summary of the information in the .cache-2 files?

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia