[tex-live] Install-tl : some explicit suggestions

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Aug 8 11:07:45 CEST 2008

One (?final?) thought on this thread
(it was implicit in the last mail, but
I thought it clearer if made explicit) --

IMHO, the top-level "install-tl" directory
should contain very few, platform-neutral,
files, plus one directory for each primary
platform/architecture, plus one directory
for platform-neutral files that don't warrant
a top-level entry.  Thus I envisage something
along the lines of the following --

	<Platform-neutral>
	<Unix>
	<Windows>
	Index.html
	Readme.txt

Line-endings could be caterered for either by
putting a viewer in each of <Unix> and <Windows>
(I am assuming, somewhat naively, that these are
the only two platforms/architectures supported),
or by having duplicate text files under <Windows>
and <Unix>.  Of course, if the installer avoided
text files completely and used only HTML and/or
PDF, this problem would not occur in the first place.

** Phil.