[tex-live] Peer-to-peer install ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Aug 7 20:44:43 CEST 2008

Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Do, 07 Aug 2008, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

>> is there any way of performing a peer-to-peer
>> install of TeX Live 2008 using the package
>> manager ?  Having performed a full install on

> No. THe problem is that the schemes are not download to the
> texlive.tlpdb.

> But there are other options: Just *copy* everything from the install
> root to the other computers. Then you only have to add the bin/win32 dir
> to the PATH and you are done.

That is great, Norbert, and certainly faster than any
peer-to-peer install (I can therefore burn the entire
install root to a DVD and move things around that way).
But once I've done so, and added the "bin/win32" dir
to the path[1], can I then use the package manager
from the systems onto which I've cloned my installation ?

> Other options would be mirroring the CTAN tlnet directory.

And presumably setting up an FTP server ?  Would such
a server have to offer Unix-style directory listings
in order to work with the script (everything at home
runs Windows -- XP or Server 2003) ?

** Phil.
--------
[1]  Incidentally, is there any reason why
the installation binaries such as PERL, etc., are not
also made accessible through the path ?  The install
PERL is fine for the use to which I normally put
PERL, and it would save me (and perhaps others) from
having to download from ActiveSystems ...