[tex-live] Feedback on TeX Live 2008 network installer under Win/XP :

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Aug 6 21:29:42 CEST 2008

Hi Philip,

On Mi, 06 Aug 2008, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
> 1) The buttons comes very close to the right-hand edge
>    of the window, leading one to believe that there
>    might be further information that cannot be seen.

Fixed, the have now a spacing. And now they are also the same size. Get
either install-menu-perltk.pl from the subversion archive or get
tomorrows installer.

> 2) Highlighting and overtyping C:/Program files/texlive/2008
> 	in the dialogue box for TEXDIR does not work; new
> 	characters are highlit, and therefore deleted when
> 	the next character is typed.

Strange, on my linux box it *is* working. Do you tell me on win32 it
does *not* work that way. Bummer.

> 3) Attempting to cancel out of this leads to CMD-box
> 	errors "Can't locate object method 'cancel' via
> 	package 'TK::After::Cancelled' at .../Widget.pm
> 	line 492"

Never had that, and I cancelled quite often. Might be again a Win32
thingy. Can anyone confirm that.

> 4) "Use ~ for HOME/USERPROFILE" is not meaningful (to me).

%USERPROFILE% is a windows variable which normally contains
	c:\documents and settings\USER

That is the best approximation of $HOME on win32.

> 5) TEXMFHOME (...) ~/texmf : the concept of tilde is
> 	not a Windows concept.  I would like to specify
> 	"My documents/TeX/ here, but there is no browse
> 	button and "My documents" is not a normal path.

See above. ~ is the %USERPROFILE% on win32 and $HOME on unix.

Best wishes

Norbert