[tex-live] TL-2008 : a question on consistency

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 6 20:13:11 CEST 2008

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Many thanks for the prompt reply, Staszek,

(philip's message arrived here earlier than that which he was replying to.)

> but
> to say "it follows CTAN convention" is rather
> bending the truth, isn't it ?  These fonts
> are to be found on CTAN at
>
>      (ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/ctan:)/fonts/greek/cbfonts/fonts/type1/cbgreek
>
> with a triple tautology for "fonts" (fonts/.../cbfonts/fonts/...)
> and a double one for "greek" (.../greek/.../cbgreek/).  Thank God
> TL-2008 doesn't /quite/ follow CTAN's lunacy here !

we used to have an argument with the submitter every time a package was
submitted in tds format.  this was quite wearing, and we gave up.  so
that is the source of the final "fonts".

the basic structure of the directory predates my time, and with the most
recent submission of claudio's fonts we actually removed a bunch of
aliases for the original directory.  slightly earlier, i dealt with a
bunch of other oddities there, so that what you see there is less dotty
than we used to have.

if i ruled the world, i would decree that the ctan team should have
absolute discretion on naming packages.  sadly we don't have such an
enlightened leader, so the team struggles with that which is submitted.

robin

(i have other potential edicts, too, but none other that are relevant
here.)