[tex-live] Extended TeX : Integration with the TeX Live Package Manager ?

Philip TAYLOR Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Wed Aug 6 19:12:03 CEST 2008

Noting how slow a network install of Scheme:full is
(I'm up to "functan", after one failure and several
elapsed hours), I wonder whether any thought has
been given (or is being given) to the idea of
integrating an extended TeX with the TeX Live Package
Manager ?  The idea I have in mind would require
the addition of one primitive, called (say) \Requires,
which would take as parameter the name of a TeX Live
collection.  The extended TeX would then liaise with
the Package Manager to see whether the required package
wa already installed, and if not, would ask the PM to
commence the download.  The idea can obviously be
extended to allow not only collections, but other
levels of granularity (such as languages) which the
PM supports, perhaps right down to the level of
individual files.  Is this work-in-progress, does
anyone know ?

** Phil.