[tex-live] Feedback on TeX Live 2008 network installer under Win/XP :

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Aug 6 17:28:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 01:12:16PM +0100, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
> 2) Highlighting and overtyping C:/Program files/texlive/2008
> 	in the dialogue box for TEXDIR does not work; new
> 	characters are highlit, and therefore deleted when
> 	the next character is typed.

It is true that the text entry widget misbehaves a bit, but I have
had no trouble entering the desired text with help a bit of
clicking. I consider this a minor annoyance. It might be possible to
fix it by updating the Tk library, but it is rather late for that.

> 3) Attempting to cancel out of this leads to CMD-box
> 	errors "Can't locate object method 'cancel' via
> 	package 'TK::After::Cancelled' at .../Widget.pm
> 	line 492"

Cannot reproduce this.

> 4) "Use ~ for HOME/USERPROFILE" is not meaningful (to me).

A better phrasing would be welcome.

> 5) TEXMFHOME (...) ~/texmf : the concept of tilde is
> 	not a Windows concept.  I would like to specify
> 	"My documents/TeX/ here, but there is no browse
> 	button and "My documents" is not a normal path.

A browse button for the parent of TEXDIR would have been nice, but
would require too much redesigning of the GUI: asking users whether
or not they want the 2008 level etc. Again, too late for this
release.

Does anybody know whether the Unix version of the directory browser
supports creating a new directory?

--
Siep Kroonenberg