[tex-live] TEXDOCVIEW_pdf ???

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Aug 4 20:30:31 CEST 2008

David Kastrup a écrit :
> The new names are not new names but established generic ones.

Oh really? Of course PAGER and BROWSER are well-know, nut for the others
I searched a bit and didn't find any well-established name. I'm glad to
learn that this choice is indeed well-established names.

Do you have references of other programs using it?

> Personally I'd prefer using the following hierarchy:
>
> PDFVIEWER.texdoc
> TEXDOCVIEW_pdf (output warning message that it is deprecated)
> PDFVIEWER

I'm not sure I see any use of PDFVIEWER.texdoc? Do you have something in
mind?

>>> (Or something more elaborate, supporting variable settings in
>>> texmf.cnf).
>
> The above scheme mimics texmf environment massaging apart from the
> middle bit...

But, while I perfectly see what distincts TEXINPUTS.latex and
TEXINPUTS.xelatex can be good for, I don't understand the purpose of
PDFVIEWER.texdoc.  I mean, you generally have only one prefered viewer,
don't you?

Manuel.