[tex-live] TeX Live testing

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Sep 25 21:16:09 CEST 2007

"Lantz Susan" <lantzs at tristate.edu> writes:

> While searching the web for TeX editors and shells-TSU has *nothing*
> that will process TeX files (which, as a structural and
> biomechanical engineer, I love to use)-I came across the references
> to TeX Live on the http://www.ams.org/tex/public-domain-tex.html#mac
> . I'm intrigued, and next will track down how to get the CD.
>

> I don't know how much I could contribute to creating the next
> edition of TeX Live (I've created styles for papers, classes in
> advanced mechanics and finite element analysis, and newsletters, but
> nothing worthy of the TeX Showcase), but I'll gladly help to test
> it. (I've previously beta tested several programs through a number
> of versions, including Textures.)

TeXlive creation actually has almost nothing to do with TeX
programming (apart from some format creation files or similar): it
consists of collecting and arranging CTAN material (and possibly some
other sources) and helping with compiling binaries.

So if you create stuff that is useful enough to put on CTAN, chances
are that you'll contribute to TeXlive just doing that.

Testing TeXlive mostly is a matter of checking it out via Subversion
and building and testing it once in a while.  It certainly can use
more people who do that from time to time.

--
David Kastrup