[tex-live] obsolete Latin hyphenation files

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Sep 4 22:15:43 CEST 2007

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 05:28:56PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

>     I have discovered just accidentally that the Latin hyphenation and
>     definition files (lahyph.tex and latin.ldf) contained in the SVN
>     repository are older than the ones contained in CTAN.
>
> Thanks.  Regarding lahyph.tex, it was updated after the TL07 release,
> and I didn't notice (hyphenation files are difficult).  I'll update that.

There were two different files on CTAN, now
  CTAN:macros/latex/required/babel/lahyph.tex
is a symbolic link to
  CTAN:macros/language/lahyph.tex

> Regarding latin.ldf, isn't it part of Babel?  I don't see any specific
> latin.ldf on CTAN, and the Babel on CTAN and the Babel in TL are the
> same, as far as I know.

latin.ldf however is a mess:

CTAN:macros/latex/required/babel/latin.dtx 2005-11-17
  Version: 2005/11/17 v2.0g
  License: LPPL 1.3
  Maintainer: Johannes Braams
  Copyright 1989-2005

CTAN:language/latin/latin.dtx 2007-03-20
  Version: 2007/03/20 v.2.0f
  License: LPPL 1.1
  No maintainer
  Copyright 1989-2001

Only the copyright holder are the same:
  Johannes L. Braams
  Claudio Beccari
  Krzysztof Konrad \.Zelechowski
  Thomas Martin Widman

Why has the CTAN:language version a date more recent than
CTAN:babel, but an older version number?
Or does the mysterious first dot mean that
  v.2.0f > v2.0g
is true?

Also it looks like a serious LPPL violation. It is one of
the reasons of LPPL to avoid such a mess.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>