[tex-live] [NTG-pdftex] pdfTeX and ToUnicode CMaps

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Thu Oct 25 09:20:16 CEST 2007

> > Hmm.  This isn't a replacement for documentation.  IMHO, it *must* be
> > mentioned in the NEWS file (perhaps in the `experimental' section'.
>
> Apart from not having time,

Well, this is a lame excuse: It would have been a matter of 10
seconds, namely to copy Thanh's announcement of the patch verbatim to
the NEWS file.

> there are many reasons for missing documentation. Perhaps the
> feature isn't finished and too `experimental'.

Hmm.

> Or there are plans to redesign the interfaces. Documentation raises
> compatibility issues.  On the other hand the author will have less
> feedback without documentation.

Indeed.  How shall people try it without knowing this feature at all.

> But either way, this decision is up to the author who implements the
> feature, not the user who wants to use it.

If I interpret the patch correctly, it wasn't Thanh who has applied it
-- Thanh has done his job correctly providing the necessary details of
how to use his new extension, but the applier missed to update the
NEWS file.

    Werner