[tex-live] TeX Live Windows installation question

Lantz Susan lantzs at tristate.edu
Tue Oct 23 19:27:51 CEST 2007

This morning's attempt to install TeX Live, scheme-medium on my computer here at the university seemed to be going well . . . until I got a "tlmp.ini permissions failed" message. When I decided to install the full scheme, I got a similar message, but this one said:
Read of tlmpgui.ini failed. Check the permissions and whether it exists.
Almost immediately, I got a similar (but seemingly related) message:
Writing of the D:/setuptl/tmlpgui.ini file failed. Check the file permissions.

A search on my hard drive for the tlmp file and a tlmpgui file turned up nothing. They are on the CD from which I'm doing the installation, but the latter apparently cannot be changed.

Since I've never used TeX on a computer running Windows, and since the system administrator (who is a Windows person but knows nothing about TeX), is as clueless as I am, can someone tell me (1) if the read/write error messages are common, not unexpected, or indicated a problem, and (2) what, if anything, we need to do to make the program run.

Also, for any of you who use Texmaker, where does it expect to find the PDF or DVI files?

Susan Lantz, a Mac woman lost in PC land

Susan A. Lantz, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Tri-State University
lantzs at tristate.edu