[tex-live] Adding a font map? (I want to install URW Arial font).

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 23 00:43:55 CEST 2007

Mark London writes:
 > Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha <at> web.de> writes:
 >> If you only need support for English (you only need ASCII), and if they
 >> insist on Arial, the most obvious solution is to switch to Vietnamese.
 >> Make sure that you have support for Vietnamese installed (TeX Live
 >> package vntex) and that the variable OSFONTDIR in
 >> texmf-var/web2c/texmf.cnf points to c:/windows/fonts.  You need pdftex
 >> then because dvips can't use TTF.
 >>
 >>   http://vntex.sourceforge.net/fonts/samples/mscore-test.pdf
 >>   http://vntex.sourceforge.net/fonts/samples/mscore-sample.pdf
 >>
 >> or simply
 >>
 >>   http://vntex.sourceforge.net/fonts/samples
 >
 > It turns out that URW Arial ain't quite real Arial.  So I'm
 > curious, is it really possible to use the Vietnamese font for
 > English Arial?  Will it really work? :)

Yes, Monotype Arial provides glyphs for many languages.  The problem
is that the font alone is not sufficient.  You also need the tfm and
encoding files.  Han The Thanh created all files required for
typesetting Vietnamese.  You have to use T5 (Vietnamese) encoding
because nothing else is supported, but even in T5 the ASCII characters
are at their standard positions.

But keep in mind that you have to use pdftex because dvips doesn't
support TrueType fonts.

Maybe there is a little problem: XP provides OpenType fonts.  But if
you can't copy the TrueType fonts from a win9x machine, you can
download them from

     http://corefonts.sourceforge.net

 > Btw, I'm in the process on installing the new texlive 2007 now.

If you have TL-2007 you could also try XeTeX.  It uses system fonts by
default.  And XeTeX supports OpenType.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25