[tex-live] can TeXLive under ubuntu 7.10 access style files in a Windows partition?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 23:58:58 CET 2007

2007/11/4, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> Colin Rowat writes:
>
>  > Thank you Zden&#283;k.  I have added
>  >
>  > MIKTEX = /media/sda1/Program Files/MikTeX 2.6
>  >
>  > just after
>  >
>  > TEXMFHOME = $HOME/texmf
>  >
>  > in 05TeXMF.cfg (in /etc/texmf/texmf.d) and, later in that file, to
>  > TEXMF, for:
>  >
>  > TEXMF =
>  > {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST,!!$MIKTEX}
>
> Did you run texhash?  This will update the file database and is
> required if you add new files/directories.

MikTeX has its own system for file databases. It is better to use just
$MIKTEX without exclamation marks. If you prepend !! and you update
MikTeX, you have to refresh the database in MikTeX from its options
dialogue as well as by texhash (=mktexlsr) in Linux. And the partition
with MikTeX must be mounted, must be writable and the path must be in
TEXMFDBS. Without !! search will be slower but you will have less
problems with administration.

>  > [...]
>  > This gives me a "file ... not found" error - which may reflect a bad
>  > path format: I use relative references like
>  > "\input{graphics/070705ql.lp}".
>
> This should work.
>
>  > Otherwise, tex-live is working perfectly, even accessing my bibtex file
>  > in the WinXP partition.
>
> Hmm, this means that you updated the database.  Or is your bibtex file
> in a TEXMF tree which doesn't begin with "!!"?.
>
> If you run texhash, make sure a database is created for $MIKTEX.  If
> not, you probably have to add $MIKTEX to TEXMFDBS, too.
>
> Could you run tex on the commandline with kpathsea debugging enabled?
> It is described in the kpathsea info manual (run "info kpathsea" and go
> to section 2.6.3).
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-4592165
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz