[tex-live] Question for Windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu May 24 12:01:32 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 07:42:27PM +0200, Berend Hasselman wrote:
> MiKTeX keeps track of files using a filename database for each of its
> roots. The databases are stored in the local user root.
> The MiKTeX method has changed slightly in the new version 2.5.
> But it still stores all filename databases in the or a  local user root.

This is to change in version 2.7: the filename database will be
stored in the corresponding tree, and may become optional for
additional trees. This may take a while, since the current beta is
only 2.6.

> My questions about  Tex Live for Windows are:
> 1. Where does TeX Live keep its "filename database" stuff (ls-R
> stuff) in a Windows installation?
>    (Same method as in Unix/Linux and Mac OS X: ls-R files are kept
> in each root/tree separately?)

Same as Unix
> 2. I gather that dviout is the equivalent of Yap. Does it also
> support "inverse search" (jumping back to your editor to a specified
> line)?

I haven't seriously looked at dviout yet, but see
> 3. do you feel that TeX Live is the better solution for a network/
> fileserver installation?

I am looking into this myself. One advantage of MikTeX in
combination with TeXnicCenter is that TeXnicCenter detects MikTeX
automatically, whereas you have to tell it the location of TeX Live
explicitly. I put in a feature request for TeXnicCenter to that
effect, but so far didn't get any response on that.

> I sincerely hope that you will be able to enlighten me and provide
> some guidance.

I have a web page http://tex.aanhet.net.portable/ on portable and
network installations of MikTeX and TeX Live which may give you some
answers. The TeXLive script on that page doesn't yet do dviout.

Siep Kroonenberg