[tex-live] TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Tue May 22 03:12:37 CEST 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 07:44:35PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>        anyway the standard "cp" ("copy" on windows) upon the given list.
>
> That may be true with the Windows installer, I can't say, but it's not
> true on Unix.  We use the "lists" files to make file lists and then use
> tar to move them wholesale, instead of invoking cp on each list.

Will the lists be created during installation process?
And: how much time does it need?

If it needs much time, it might be better to use
prepared filelists, so that there exists a filelist
for each possible selection/deselection of packages of the
distribution.

select_this_file = package_A || package_B || package_F
select_another_file = package_C || package_T || package_Q

So the filelists can be prepared and put onto the DVD.
Installation can be stupid and install the files that
are in the activated list.

You mentioned "lists"-files.

I found a "lists" directory in /Volumes/TeXCol2006-2007/texlive/texmf/

It contains files like   /Volumes/TeXCol2006-2007/texlive/texmf/lists/achemso
which has the following contents:

==================
first:~ oliver$ cat /Volumes/TeXCol2006-2007/texlive/texmf/lists/achemso
texmf-dist/doc/latex/achemso/README
texmf-dist/doc/latex/achemso/achemso.pdf
texmf-dist/source/latex/achemso/achemso.dtx
texmf-dist/source/latex/achemso/achemso.ins
texmf-dist/bibtex/bst/achemso/achemso.bst
texmf-dist/bibtex/bst/achemso/achemsol.bst
texmf-dist/tex/latex/achemso/achemso.sty
texmf-dist/tpm/achemso.tpm

texmf/lists/achemso
first:~ oliver$

There is no information about WHEN these files must be installed.

Where will this be selected?
And when?

Ciao,
   Oliver