[tex-live] TeXLive on old SPARC Solaris

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:10:12 CEST 2007

On 5/17/07, Federico Di Gregorio <fog at initd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are having some problems installing TeXLive on an old SPARC SOLARIS:
>
> SunOS xxx 5.7 Generic_106541-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIi-cEngine
>
> TeXLive installs correctly (or at least it doesn't report any error) but
> then the system does not work. For example, running pdftex results in:
>
> ld.so.1: pdftex: errore fatale:libCstd.so.1: impossibile aprire: File o
> directory non trovati
>
> while trying to run some scripts (e.g., texconfig) result in errors
> like:
>
> $ texconfig formats
> texconfig: analyzing old configuration...
> kpsewhich: unrecognized option `--var-value=TEXMFMAIN'
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/sparc-solaris/fmtutil: /texconfig/tcfmgr: not found
>
> even if the environment has been setup correctly (all needed TEXMFXXX
> variables correctly defined; we have TeXLive running fine on other
> machines).
>
> Any ideas? Or is this machine simply too old to run TeXLIve?

I guess libCstd.so.1 is a C++ library --  pdftex and xpdf use
C++. I would expect Sun to provide runtime libraries for
whatever C++ was around at the time your OS was installed,
but that might be too old to build pdftex and xpdf.

The machine (hardware) is probably up to the job, but getting
a usable libCstd.so may not be feasible, in which case
you still have the option of installing GNU compilers and
building TL from source.

There have also been some issues with changes in the various
tools (head, tail, sed, awk, sort, etc.) so texconfig and other scripts
may need some minor tweaks (or you can install the GNU
versions which will more closely resemble the linux tools most
people use).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia