[tex-live] Installing TL breaks Ubuntu

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue May 15 22:51:30 CEST 2007

    When I discovered that TL installed a new install-info, at first I
    assumed that this was only for the purpose of installing the
    TeX-related info pages

It's there because the install process just runs make install in
Texinfo.  Anything else requires more work :).  Besides, to my mind, it
would make little sense to install part of Texinfo, since that would be
of little value to people who actually want to use it.

As Texinfo maintainer, I could create a kludgey configure option to
avoid installing install-info, and then I could have TL use that option,
but honestly, I don't want to.  The right fix for this is for the Debian
and Texinfo install-info's to become one, and I hope that will happen
before 2008.  We'll see.