[tex-live] Script to update packages

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Sat Mar 10 17:57:47 CET 2007

Hello everyone,

Suppose you find out that a particular package you intensively depend on
has recently been updated on CTAN. Instead of waiting for TeXLive 2008,
you will probably rather download it and install it manually in either
your $TEXMFHOME or $TEXMFLOCAL tree. But this is a bit tedious and
time-consuming.

Well, I have written a shell script, based on install-pkg.sh that comes
with the live CD, to automate this task. Provided the package has been
also updated on the TeX Live SVN repository (which in most cases happens
soon after), the script will fetch the necessary files from the
tug.org/texlive server via rsync. I doubt this would potentially create
bandwidth problems, but Karl should definitively tell us whether this is
acceptable or not.

In any case I am happy to provide this utility to whomever might be
interested. However, I should add that I have not tested it more than
moderately, and only on a Linux machine. For that matter, I have not
made any attempt to ensure maximal portability of the script, e.g. by
making use of the functions defined in the script utils.sh (also on the
install CD).

Commentaries and improvements are of course welcome.

Regards,
François