[tex-live] Bug in TexLive 2005 and 2007? Non-writable aux-file

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 6 23:43:43 CET 2007

Thanks for the analysis, Heiko and everyone.

    If the user does not provide a
    file name, then he is probably unable/unwilling to provide
    the correct error recovery.

I see a difference between typing CTRL-C or CTRL-D to "give me an input
file", and just pressing RET.  Handling of CTRL-C and CTRL-D has always
been problematic; I've seen lots of different behavior over the years.
I have no qualms about simply aborting given CTRL-C or CTRL-D.  That
seems eminently desirable to me.

However, in the case of just pressing RET, I see no harm in asking again
(not trying to open *any* files in the meantime).  As a TeX user, I
would be rather surprised if the job aborted from simply pressing RET.
TeX has never behaved that way in the past.

(I realize this is not as straightforward to implement.)

Using a previous filename when RET is pressed, as is apparently
happening now, seems worst of all.

For me, the ideal would be a specific error message, like:

! You didn't type a filename, please do so.
<*>
Please type another input file name:

(Or maybe it'd be possible to get thrown into the regular error
routines, so a help string could be provided?)

Wdyt?

Thanks,
Karl