[tex-live] xdvipdfm seg faults when using some TTF fonts (Was xelatex on OpenBSD sparc64 - Bus Error)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jun 24 19:54:45 CEST 2007

On 24 Jun 2007, at 4:48 pm, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Here is the sparc64 --version output:
> $ xetex --version
> XeTeX 3.141592-0.996-patch1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> kpathsea version 3.5.6
> Copyright 2007 SIL International.
> Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
> There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
> covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
> the Lesser GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file
> named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
> Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
> Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.
>
> Compiled with ICU version 3.4 [with modifications for XeTeX]
> Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
> Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.2.1; using 2.2.1
> Compiled with fontconfig version 2.4.2; using 2.4.2
> Compiled with libpng version 1.2.16; using 1.2.16
> Compiled with xpdf version 3.01
>
> libpng is newer on my i386 box. This will just be because it is
> running a newer developer snapshot of OpenBSD. Im guessing you were
> looking for a vanilla version of icu, which would royally screw it all
> up. Alas, I was informed :P

That's why the TeX Live configure script doesn't offer a --with-
system-icu option; you'd have to work extra hard to mess it up in
that way! No, I was mostly wondering about the FreeType versions, but
you seem to have the same as I do.

> Unfortunatley, the same test makes a different error on sparc64. On
> the initial run I get:
> [...snip]
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/euenc/eu1enc.def)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/euenc/lm/eu1lmr.fd))
> fontspec.cfg loaded.
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg))
> No file test.aux.
> Bus error (core dumped)
>
> If I run again (now that there is an .aux file in cwd):
> [...snip]
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/euenc/eu1enc.def)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/euenc/lm/eu1lmr.fd))
> fontspec.cfg loaded.
> (/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg))
> (./test.aux)Bus error (core dumped)
>

> I will rebuild on sparc64 with debug symbols. If you could let me know
> which binary that is that has crashed I will gdb it later.

Hard to be sure from this output, but you can easily determine which
is failing by running "xelatex -no-pdf" followed by "xdvipdfmx -E"
separately.

> I don't know if this might help, but I might aswell suggest it anyway.
> OpenBSD has very strict buffer checks, which may be why the segfault
> atleast cannot be repro'd on your linux(?) system. This probably can't
> apply to the bus error's though. Thoughts?

It could easily be the same underlying bug on both systems, just
manifesting differently because of the different architectures.

I think I can have access to an OpenBSD machine (i386) at the office
in a couple of days, so will try to investigate there, if I can't
reproduce/solve the failure before then.

JK