[tex-live] TeX Live on NetBSD: first steps

Jukka Salmi j+tex-live at 2007.salmi.ch
Mon Jun 18 17:08:58 CEST 2007

Hi,

Reinhard Kotucha --> tex-live (2007-06-16 01:24:04 +0200):
> Jukka Salmi writes:
>
>  > $ PATH=/b/tmp/jukka/texlive/2007.bin/bin/i386-netbsd:$PATH
>  > $ texconfig init
>  > tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
>  > fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
>  >
>  > Hmm, but these files are there:
>  >
>  > $ cd /b/tmp/jukka/texlive/2007.bin
>  > $ find . -name tcfmgr.map -o -name fmtutil.cnf
>  > ./texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>  > ./texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
>  > ./texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr.map
>
> I'm clueless.  Though I don't think that you have to recreate the ls-R
> databases, it doesn't hurt to run texhash.
>
> If nobody else has a better idea I fear that you have to find out
> where texconfig looks for files.  You can use strace if it is
> available for your system.  texconfig uses kpsewhich in order to
> determine the search paths.  You could try to run texconfig or
> kpsewhich with some environment variables set for debugging as
> described in section 2.6.3 of texmf/doc/info/kpathsea.info .

Tracing texconfig revealed that kpsewhich searches for tcfmgr.map in
the following directories (in this order):

.
$HOME/.texlive2007/texmf-config/texconfig/
$HOME/.texlive2007/texmf-var/texconfig/
$HOME/texmf/texconfig/

and then gives up, i.e. exits with exit status 1. Hmm, neither
$HOME/.texlive2007/ nor $HOME/texmf/ exist...

At this point I ran texhash as you suggested, and after that `texconfig
init' succeeded! Now I (seem to) have a working TL installation!

Hmm, should texhash have been run by the TL installation routine?

BTW, I ran install-tl.sh as non-root. Could this be the source of the
problems?

>  > Sure, I could do this. But IMHO NetBSD users would appreciate it more
>  > if there was a [1]pkgsrc package available to build TL.
>
> That's true.  But there are (at least) three reasons at least to
> include your binaries to TeXLive:
>
>  1. TL-2007 provides a lot of new stuff, for instance XeTeX, TikZ/pgf,
>     PdfTeX had been improved significantly...  Most UNIX distributions
>     still provide teTeX which is quite old.  In TL-2008 we will have
>     LuaTeX but I doubt that when TL-2008 will be released, many UNIX
>     distributions will provide TeXLive at all.
>
>  2. Since TeXLive provides a live system, it would be nice to support
>     as many platforms as possible.
>
>  3. I have the impression that you are quite familiar with UNIX.  But
>     modern TeX systems are extremely complex so that even you have
>     problems.  It would be nice if KDE or Gnome users who never used a
>     command-line interface can simply insert the DVD and run the
>     installer.
>
> Your binaries are welcome!

OK, convinced ;-) But I could provide binaries for i386 and sparc64
only.

>  > Currently only teTeX can be built using pkgsrc. If I find out how
>  > to get TL working on my NetBSD box I might try to create a TL
>  > pkgsrc package.
>
> That would be nice, but be aware that TeXLive is huge.  If netbsd is
> distributed on CDs/DVDs this might be a problem.  Maybe you can use
> scheme-tetex:  run the installer and press "s".  scheme-tetex had been
> provided by Werner Fink (SuSE).

Thanks for the hints. Using the tetex scheme when creating a package
seems to be a good idea.

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: