[tex-live] Updating and maintaining an installation

Mariano Suárez-Alvarez mariano.suarezalvarez at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 01:41:49 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I'm a recent TeXLive convert (teTeX, though, will always have a
special place in my heart! ;-) ) who, after googling for a bit,  has
not been able to find out how to update within Linux what I have
installed (that is, whatever came in the ISO image) to more recent
versions of packages, or, really, even if that is possible at
all---short of downloading packages `by hand' from CTAN and
overwriting old versions. Any pointers?

Also, reading through the documentation, it appears that there is some
GUI maintenance tool for windows but I see no mention of such a thing
for unixy environments. I think I could spend the time needed to come
up with a such a thing, if indeed it does not yet exist. So: is there
such a tool? If not: is the way the windows app works documented
somewhere, for me to try to clone that?

Cheers,

-- m

--