[tex-live] texdoc under windows

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sun Jun 10 15:16:46 CEST 2007

"George N. White III" <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/10/07, Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> wrote:
>
>> But anyway, where can I find an introductory tutorial into
>>
>> a) lua
>
> <http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaTutorial>

Thank you.

> Interface aside, there are two approaches represented by texdoc and
> texdoctk:
>
> texdoc -- search TEXDOC trees for matching files.  This is slow with the
> current kpathsea interface.   The proper fix may require fixing the long-lost
> --all option to kpsewhich.

Well, that's not the whole story.  The main function of texdoc is to
launch the document in a viewer when you  type its name, and that works
very well for me most of the time:  "texdoc paralist" (missing TL 2007,
but well), "texdoc gerdoc", "texdoc hyperref/manual".  This main
function is *not* slow, and "texdoc -l <name> is quite fast, too.  Only
searching for a regex pattern is slow.

> The "TeX Catalog Online" seems to be a reasonable database.

But it isn't organized hierarchically, is it?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)