[tex-live] texdoc under windows

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sun Jun 10 13:00:58 CEST 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>> Norbert Preining writes:
>>
>>  > But it is not the time to do  it now. Nobody know whether the lua
>>  > interface to all the internals is already fixed, I wouldn't swear on it.
>>  > And re-rewriting it again and again is a pain. This is material for
>>  > after lua inclusion ...
>
> I disagree on that. If Reinhard can spend time on it now, then now
> really is the time to do this, so that problems can be dealt with
> without the heavy pressure that always occurs in the last few months.

I'm the one who started to rewrite texdoc in Perl.  I think that it
would definitely be better to do it in texlua.  If there are any
problems, let's see this just as a real-world testing example, and if
any internals change, well, it's just going to be a couple of replaces
in the script.

The only problem is that I don't know lua at all, and that I won't have
much time for software development when I start my new job in August.  I
had hoped to be able to produce something useful in Perl until then, but
I'm definitely sceptical about doing the same in lua.

But anyway, where can I find an introductory tutorial into

a) lua

b) kpse* in luatex?

> The one thing that is definately missing right now is something
> like 'texluatk'. There is no pTK binding for the latest Lua,
> and I have not investigated other GUI options yet.

I was talking about texdoc, texdoctk is something different.  It's
written in Perl, and if any changes are needed to make it run under
Windows, I'd rather make these in the existing implementation.  The real
problem of texdoctk, as Reinhard has pointed out, is maintaining the
database.

Maybe the "makehtml" approach discussed in the other thread ("Hidden
treasures in TeXLive") is a better alternative there.  Starting with a
sorting after the TDS, one could just add additional grouping
information as much as there is available, and leave the rest in a
"unsorted" category.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster