[tex-live] The suggestions (from tex-d-l) (Re: Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation))

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 3 02:15:34 CEST 2007

     > > The existence of /etc/debian_version.

Given the complicated relationships, I do not think it is wise to try to
check for a specific (GNU/)Linux distribution in the TL installation
scripts.  It seems like it is going rather far afield, and would be
fragile.

It would be easy and reliable to check for a Linux kernel in general,
with uname.

But what could a message say?  All I can think of is something like this:

  You are running on a GNU/Linux system.  TeX Live is available via
  native packages for many such systems; you may prefer to install it
  that way.

If I was a user who didn't already know all the details, I would just be
confused by something so bland.  And if I do know all the details, then
I don't need the message to tell me.

Furthermore, there are other sorts of systems with native packaging,
namely OpenBSD (now), MacOSX, maybe Solaris, for all I know.  Another
one might come along at any time.

All I can think of to do is put information on the web pages (where I am
happy to do so), instead of freezing knowledge into the install scripts.