[tex-live] Compile fails on Mac OS X Server 10.3.9

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jul 20 21:29:07 CEST 2007

On 20 Jul 2007, at 11:39 am, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>> For the Build side, branches/branch2007 is supposed to be stable
>> but include important patches to the 2007 release; trunk is an
>> unstable development line that will presumably stabilize as we
>> approach the time for the next release.
>>
>> As for Master, I don't know if anyone is keeping track of patches
>> that could reasonably be applied to TL2007 and still considered
>> stable, as opposed to the unstable development in trunk. It would
>> be good to apply low-risk bug-fix patches to branches/branch2007,
>> but AFAIK that hasn't been happening.
>
> So branches/branch2007 does have a Master tree, but it is not
> updated while the Build tree there is?

Right. The branch was created at the time of the TL2007 release, and
no-one has touched its Master tree since then, but the Build tree has
received bug-fix patches (as opposed to major new versions).

>> Basing a distribution on trunk at this point in the release cycle
>> would seem risky, though, as I don't think it gets continual
>> regression testing or anything like that.
>
> In the past I have worked with most recent Masters in combination
> with various revisions of Build. This has worked pretty well. Stuff
> in Master generally is pretty backwards compatible.

It's probably OK most of the time, for most stuff, but there's
certainly the risk of getting something inconsistent.

Build hasn't had all that many significant updates AFAIK, at least
until the pdftex 1.40.4 update (which was the one that broke the
xetex build, because it modified the shared tex.ch change file). When
we get closer to a new release, I expect there'll be a lot more churn
as various packages get updated, and there may well be a period of
greater instability.

> It would be nice if someone could keep branches/branch2007 stable-
> with-patches.

Yes, it certainly would.

JK