[tex-live] linux 2.4 binaries

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Jul 6 09:47:20 CEST 2007

On Fre, 06 Jul 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> That won't work. The "linux 2.4" phrase is jus a shortcut for "an
> installation of a five year old linux distribution".

Ok, but this is *trivial*.

> There are some less obvious issues. The most important problem is not
> the common libraries like libc and libm (even though the new system

No problem. As I said, clean chroot of even sarge if you want. That
should be *really* old enough. Stuff build there is linked against the
stuff *installed* in the chroot, so against old libs.

> option, I don't know. Otherwise, you have to install older versions of
> gcc and binutils as well, and at that point, a complete old distro is
> much easier to handle.

They *are* installed in the chroot. The chroot contains a complete old
installation, including gcc (in sarge 3.3.5).

Best wishes

Norbert

STURRY (n.,vb.)
A token run. Pedestrians who have chosen to cross a road immediately
in front of an approaching vehicle generally give a little wave and
break into a sturry. This gives the impression of hurrying without
having any practical effect on their speed whatsoever.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff