[tex-live] Test tlpm at Win32

Dirk Ullrich dirk.ullrich at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:26:02 CET 2007

2007/1/20, Staszek Wawrykiewicz <staw at gust.org.pl>:
> Thanks for reporting that. Please try
> ftp://ftp.gust.org.pl/Projekty/tlpmgui/20070120-setup.zip
> (already commited to the TL repo). You can unpack it in any directory
> and play with the current iso image you have. Just set the proper path
> to the CD (or mounted iso image).

I have just repeated my tests described in my first mail in this
thread.  I now _cannot_ reproduce any of errors described there--i.e.

1) (Non)Installation seems now to beconsistent. Especially ff I
uncheck the "Perl" collection no Perl is installed.

2) When removing TL by tlpmgui my original %PATH% is correctly restored (Uff).

And even better:

3) tlpmgui correctly detects that I have Ghostscript already installed
at my system, and issues an appropriate warning.

Now I could even recommend to an average Win user to use tlpmgui to install TL.

At the moment I have only 2 minor questions / suggestions:

a)  I did only choose base, English and German documentation to be
installed. Even so I the directories of all other documentation
packages are created too (for instance there is a
"%TLroot%\texmf-doc\doc\bulgarian" dir etc) although they correctly do
not contain any file. Would it be possible to omit creation of dirs
only used by packages not installed?

b) When I check the "Perl" collection for installation I will be
correctly asked whether I really want to install Perl. (I can deny it,
and no Perl we be installed.) But other than in the Ghostview case no
hint is given that Perl is already installed on my system. A similar
detection mechanism like for Ghostscript would be nice.

Otherwise--thank you for nice work
Dirk