[tex-live] Bad .cfg files in TeX source tree?

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jan 19 09:30:35 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 07:31:41PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:

>     * Attached: graphics.cfg, color.cfg
>
> I installed them (updating the versions in texmf/tex/latex/config),
> thanks very much.  So we hand-maintain these .cfg's as part of TL, huh?

Yes.

>     * hyperref: Update this night
>
> Ok.  BTW, how about changing the default in hyperref to dvips so we
> wouldn't need hyperref.cfg?  Does it do any good to default to
> "hypertex"?  (If that is indeed the case.)

Compatibility.
Perhaps I'll reconsider this change in the future, but
currently I don't have the time for this.

>     * geometry and crop need updating.
>
> ./texmf-dist/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.cfg is an effectively-empty
> file.  I've updated the geometry pkg in TL so that geometry.cfg does not
> end up in the runtime.

I meant that they should by updated by their authors to support XeTeX.
My impression is that people will start playing with XeTeX if there
is an complete installation such as TeX Live provides. Then
the XeTeX .cfg files will cause much trouble by
  \newcount\pdfoutput \pdfoutput=1
This isn't limited to the intended package, but will also fool
other packages as well. I doesn't know XeTeX, but I don't think,
that XeTeX will be too happy, if feeded with pdfTeX primitives.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>