[tex-live] Win32 Testing reports

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Jan 16 18:42:16 CET 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Norbert Preining wrote:

> I have build an iso from todays svn base and installed it on my Win32
> (XP) box. (Note I normally don't run Win, so consider me a complete
> beginner!)

OK, anyway we can count you to the group of bold people :-)
(unfortunately very, very small :(

> The installation was running smooth, I didn't experience any problems.
Thanks

> What I found is:
> - in the default settings pressing the "Standard Collections" is showing
>   the window of collections, but base-bin is de-selected. I see that
>   it is installed anyway, but it puzzled me (probably nobody else)

We know that. It is because base-bin is already included in
collection-basic (not related to win32 setup, as we use the same tpm/lists
files).

> - running pdflatex I get thousands of warnings a la:
>   pdfTeX warning: pdflatex.exe (file c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map): ambiguous entry for `ecso1000': font file present but not included, will be treated as font file not present
>   See below ...
>
> - another strange warning I got with one of my files is:
>   pdfTeX warning: pdflatex.exe: font `cm-super-t1' is not a standard font; I suppose it is available to your PDF viewer then
>   and the respective font is missing in Acroread.
>   But note that cm-super IS installed!
>   Calling updmap by hand fixed this AND the above, but I thought that
>   this is done automatically?

Sorry, the ready (working) map files are not in sync everyday.

> - What remains after calling updmap are warnings:
>   pdfTeX warning: pdflatex.exe (file c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map): invalid entry for `gsxu1000': both ps_name and font file missing
>   Several of these ...

Not related to win32 at the moment

> - ghostscript is installed, but I cannot find it (am I blind?) Opening a
>   ps file here openes the Distiller, and searching by hand does not give
>   me anything like gs/ghostview or whatever

gs is installed only on demand (users can have it already). It is used
for many batch tasks. If you want to view ps files, you need gsview
(not enough free for including to TL, please see the TL documentation).

> - perl is installed, but no traces in the menu

Which menu?? As before, perl (minimal, but robust) is also installed on
demand. Open cmd window and try: 'perl --version' from the command line

> - texexec does not do anything. However I call it, it returns without
>   any trace of output etc.

Hans has already answered. You need Ruby installed, but as installation
kit is ~25mb, it is left for (somehow more advenced) users to install it.

> - pdfcrop does not work
>   Can't locate File/Spec/Functions.pm in @INC (@INC contains: c:\TeXLive2007\perltl\lib ........

As before, you need Ruby installed.

Ps. we heartily invite windows users to try TL2007 at this (still test)
stage.

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz