[tex-live] texmf/fmtutil

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Sun Jan 14 07:20:19 CET 2007

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Akira Kakuto wrote:

> As I stated before, fmtutil.exe in W32TeX saves format
> files in engine subdirs. However, there are no commands:
>
> --refresh
> --enablefmt formatname
> --disablefmt formatname
> --listcfg
> --catcfg
> --edit
>
> and there is no option:
> --no-engine-subdir
>
> I think they are not essential on windows.

Sure, but my older fmtutil.exe from W32TEX doesn't work with more
new kpathsea dll

> Added option:
> --engine texengine              (specify texengine)
>
> If you allow the above defects, you can use fmtutil.exe in W32TeX.
> In W32TeX, the texmf-tree for formats is $TEXMFMAIN.
> I think I can change it if you tell me where it should be.

Preferably $TEXMFVAR for the current setup for TL. Please note, that
on u*x all formats except cont-en (depending on engine used, and declared
in fmtutil.cnf twice with different engines) are still stored in just
web2c/ (what a mess!)
One more thing: we have also mktexfmt.exe which makes a format on-the-fly.
I just hope that it can cooperate with your fmtutil.exe.

> PS: I like
> TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c{/$engine,}

Sorry, I do not like such suddenly made changes, but OK. Both
structure and setup become more and more complicated...

Ps. please send me your current fmtutil.exe. Many thanks for your help
and patience.

Best,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz