[tex-live] [tlpmgui] tlpmgui on linux

Tomasz Łuczak tlu at technodat.com.pl
Mon Jan 8 08:45:28 CET 2007

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> All programs except tclkit-linux-x86-static first load the .so files.
> All programs look for encoding/iso8859-1.enc in various directories in
> the $HOME tree without success.  Apparently this is harmless.
>
> After I typed "package require Tk", tclkit-linux-x86 loads some X11
> shared libraries and after that a few other X11 related files, mostly
> locale stuff.  Obviously in tclkit-linux-x86-static the X11 libs are
> statically linked.
>
> It seems that in tlpmgui the error message appears before the
> X11 libraries are loaded.
tlpmgui use only one binary package: tile (more about tile:
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/ ). Try download file tile078.kit
from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=11464
and run: tclkit tile078.kit.
May be tile has problems under your (64bit?) distro?

> It seems that it's possible to write a
> program which provides a GUI if X11 is available and a dialog like
> menu if not.  This is difficult to accomplish in Perl.
easy with Tcl/Tk + tclkit ;-) With perl probably too with perlTk library.
I wrap application into executables (for linux and windows), but second
way is wrap into portable kit (if application is portable). Then you can
run on several platform same kit via platform specific runtime tclkit.

Regards
Tomek
--
   Tomasz Łuczak

  TECHNODAT Sp. z o.o.            tel +48 32 2382337
  ul. Kościuszki 1c               tel +48 32 3314484
  44-100 Gliwice, PL              mob +48 602 524713
  http://www.technodat.com.pl     http://www.elcad.pl