[tex-live] Not: Kpathsea in TL2007

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Feb 19 14:02:04 CET 2007

"Philip Taylor (Webmaster) " <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:

> Neanderthal man was moderately successful, but was eclipsed
> by Cro-Magnon man : Unix was moderately successful (for its
> time), but its time is long since past and it's time for
> Unix users to move on !

To CP/M?  Because that is where your favorite restrictions originated.

MS/DOS started out as a CP/M clone, and only later moved from
FCB-directed I/O calls (where user space was responsible for
allocating the internal per-file data structures used by the OS) to
the file-id based calls, and to a directory structure.

Sadly, Microsoft pretty much botched the hierarchical file system and
I/O semantics, even though they modelled them superficially after
Unix.

So the choice presenting itself nowadays is using either original or
botched Unix semantics, as long as one restricts the choice to between
Unix or Windows.

I doubt that you are not aware of that.

--
David Kastrup