[tex-live] tlpmgui on vista

Tomasz Łuczak tlu at technodat.com.pl
Fri Feb 9 11:53:34 CET 2007

Yule Wang wrote:
>> you renamed only name in Windows, but your home directory contains still

>> chinese characters. Windows joke
>> tlpmgui 1.75 report before starts about problem with TEMP. In my opinion

>> it's better way than during installation.
>>
>> You have to set TEMP environment variables to e.g C:\TEMP.
>> IMHO ideas private Temp in path "C:\Documents & settings\user name\local

>> settings\sra ta ta\Temp" is stupid.

> well, so that if the TEMP path contains some Asian characters, the
TexLive
> installer wont start. that's what I mean.
In my opinion problem is encoding asian characters. Tcl use default UTF-8,
probably asian are encoded in utf-16, I don't know.

> So I think that we should take more things into account. AFAIK,
> c:/windows/temp [the system's temp, not the computer user's temp] is
> good enough to put the temp data there.

> And I also think that if the installer cannot find the TEMP directory, it
can
> ask the user to choose one directory to put the temp files. that's not
hard.
And type or select: C:\Document and settings\sra ta ta chinese chars\Local
settings\temp?

> in fact, many people do have a username like sra ta ta, and I do think it
is
> stupid(I just make one like this to test my program in some bad
situation).
> but as far as our generous Mr. Gates allow us to set a non-english
username, the
> developers should care about this situation.

> again, it is never a good idea to teach the user to choose system
information ->
> advanced -> system environment -> set the TEMP like C:\TEMP, because it
is the
> developers' probelm, not the computer users.
tlpmgui use %TEMP% and next evaluate whether is able to use this path.
MS has no respect to own clients and provide not good tested or stupid
solution. eg.:
USERHOME=C:\Documents and Settings\non english username
TEMP=%USERHOME%\Local settings\temp
C:\Program Files\...
To run program, tlpmgui has to distinguish between:
"name with spaces.exe" and name_without_spaces.exe
etc.

I'm sorry but I'm user WinXP Polish and English edition only and I have not
possibility test tlpmgui on Chinese, Japanese, Slovakian, Russian, Spanish,
German, French, Dutch, Portugese, Greek, Italian or other European, Asian,
African etc. edition of Windows. It's impossible.
I and tlpmgui team expect tests by TeX community, but not two days before
sending image to production.

Best regards
Tomek

  Tomasz Łuczak

 TECHNODAT Sp. z o.o.            tel +48 32 2382337
 ul. Kościuszki 1c               tel +48 32 3314484
 44-100 Gliwice, PL              mob +48 602 524713
 http://www.technodat.com.pl     http://www.elcad.pl