[tex-live] ifxetex package missing from collection-xetex

Andreas Hirsch afj at gaponline.de
Mon Feb 5 16:56:54 CET 2007

quoting Siep Kroonenberg, [05.02.2007 16:44]:
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:44:38AM +0100, Dirk Ullrich wrote:
>> 2007/2/4, Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl>:
>> [...]
>>> Of course, for a shared network install you want a preconfigured
>>> user installation, and then GUI tools aren't much help.  For MikTeX
>>> 2.5 things were a bit harder than for MikTeX 2.4, and I have heard
>>> of other people who gave up on MikTeX 2.5 for a network install.
>>>
>> We did use at work  MiKTeX up to version 2.4 for a long time. Some
>> days ago I gave MiKTeX 2.5 a try and was dissatisfied: Much less
>> customize options during install. Especially I had problems to move so
>> MiKTeX folders to other than the default locations (for a shared
>> installation). I have found some rare hints at the Internet, but they
>> did not work. My last resort was analyzing the source code (I love
>> open source software!), and then to made some direct registry changes.
>> Now I would prefer TeXLive much to MiKTeX--even under Win32.
>>
>> Dirk
>
> This stuff was documented in http://docs.miktex.org/2.5/preview.pdf.
> In the MikTeX manual you can find some more information by searching
> for setupwiz. You can't blame anyone for not finding this, though.

right, but:

We tried hard and read a lot of information, we consulted the
miktex-users-list - problems remaind unsolved.

We file-rights granted by samba on the network-shares are not sufficient
for miktex/windows. MiKTeX 2.5 needs a FileNameDataBase for every user
an create fonts for every user - primary on the local machine (even
Christian Schenk says that its no good idea to change this.

On the other hand its no good idea to have 1000 FNDB's on the network
and create all fonts 1000 times ...

... an copy this on every login to the local maschine

Until 2.4 this was now problem and i could not imagine they this has to
be changed

> As long as users seem to be happy and as long as I don't run
> into insurmountable problems, I'll think twice before making radical
> changes.

as pointed out, we did more than that - spening about two weeks of my
summer holiday in our school-network - trying to become 2.5 runnung

So there are good reasons for making radical changes

Andreas

--
Sie haben noch kein eMail-Zertifikat?
https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=1&lang=de_DE